Sunday, May 6, 2012

¡Seis de Mayo!

Oh my. I'm not sure how Cinco de Mayo slipped my mind, but I feel very silly. It's a bit delayed, so here's a Spanish-themed name post, full of the names that have made it into the American top 200. Unlike the Irish names, most haven't caught on with people outside of the heritage, but they should still be familiar.
*Of course, this project is complicated by the fact that Latinate names have been popular in English since, oh, the Renaissance. Thus, I've only included cases where the origin/usage is fairly conclusively Spanish, or where the Spanish spelling is highest ranked.

Pre-1930s:
Jose
Manuel
Rosa

Dolores/Lola
Isabel
Juan
Inez
Juanita


1930s-50s:
Anita
Ramona
Yolanda
Carmen


1960s-70s:
Carlos
Jesus
Ricardo
Miguel
Francisco
Jorge
Ruben
Jaime (male)

1980s-90s:
Luis
Angel (both genders)
Alejandro
Javier
Fernando
Eduardo
Andres
Cesar
Pedro
Gabriela
Alejandra

Mercedes
Yesenia
Selena


2000s:
Diego
Alondra
Camila

No comments:

Post a Comment