Sunday, January 22, 2012

Named Before Their Time

I know I can't be the only one who contemplates writers' choices of character names. Did they pick them for their history or meaning? Because of they felt right for the character? Or just because they sounded good?
I have to admit, when I read about real people with names that don't seem to fit their era, I feel admiration for their parents, who picked something that likely got lots of derisive comments and odd glances.
But, when I see fictional characters with names that don't fit their age or era (especially with shows that are supposed to be otherwise "realistic"), I just have to roll my eyes.
Double standard--probably.

  • Addison Montgomery, Private Practice (2007)
  • Elliot Reid, Scrubs (2001)
  • Finn Hudson, Glee (2009)
  • Harper Finkle, Wizards of Waverly Place (2007)
  • Jordan Sullivan, Scrubs (2001)
  • Murphy Brown, Murphy Brown (1988)
  • Piper Halliwell, Charmed (2000)
  • Remy "Thirteen" Hadley, House (2007)
  • Skyler White, Breaking Bad (2008)
  • Spencer Hastings, Pretty Little Liars (2010)

I also have to wonder--which popular names would have caught on without the characters? Hmmmm....

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that drives me crazy. I'm way too much of a name nerd, lol.

    ReplyDelete